The U.S. search engine optimization (SEO) industry is healthy and growing, topping $16 billion in 2010. This is great news for any SEO or Marketing firm looking to expand along with the client’s search marketing budgets, as there is plenty of work to be done. Many SEO departments, consultancies, and agencies are looking to hire new employees to keep up with the demand. This does raise the question, however, of what to look for when hiring new SEO consultants.
An ideal employee in any firm’s SEO department will possess a unique set of skills that allows them to analyze keywords and on-site analytics and interpret those results in order to create an advantage for the client.
So what qualities or skills should you look for in an SEO employee?
- Life Learner – SEO techniques are constantly evolving and in order for employers to get the most benefit from an SEO employee, the employee should be self-motivated to keep abreast of all SEO practices.
- Problem solver – An SEO consultant should be capable of solving a client’s problem by ensuring that their business is easily found online, by verbally communicating how SEO can help their business, and by coming up with creative solutions.
- Site Maintainer – A person who is truly interested in working in SEO should have their own personal website and possibly even a blog that allows people to see what knowledge they possess.
- Thoughtful Creator – An SEO consultant must be both logical and creative. Blending those two qualities is the best part about working as in SEO! They should be able to come up with creative solutions that make sense.
- Communicator – Be an excellent communicator who is able to build relationships. Creating a relationship with the client is important when you are working so closely with their website and content.
- Innovator – An ideal SEO employee is willing to try new things.
- Improver – Constantly pushing to improve themselves, their approach to SEO problems, and others.
While these skills or qualifications may be easily applied to other job descriptions, an SEO consultant will utilize all of these skills sometimes in one day. SEO is a growing industry that allows motivated individuals to thrive in a setting where they can be both logical and creative. If you are a student hoping to become involved in SEO or if you represent a business that is interested in implementing SEO techniques for their website, this is a good checklist of qualities to go off of.
Optimizing your website for search engines will help your profits increase and your brand will become better known. An ideal SEO consultant will use the skills listed above to ensure that your website is fully optimized and that your needs are met.
As a full-service marketing agency, The Belford Group creates branding, websites, marketing, social media, and search engine optimization solutions to assist our clients in finding and reaching their ideal audience.
Call us or email us. We’d love to hear from you.