Before deciding on a logo, a color scheme, a slogan, or even a company name, start-up businesses first need to build their identity. According to branding expert Simon Sinek, proper branding answers three important questions:
- Who are you?
- What do you do?
- Why does it matter?
The answers to these questions will be the foundation of your company’s brand, with the most important being the “why”. It’s the “why” that will connect your customers to your brand on an emotional level (View Simon Sinek’s [“Start with Why”] Ted Talk for the science behind the “why”). When a consumer can relate to your brand on an emotional level and share the same beliefs your company purports, he or she will feel comfortable trusting your brand, buying from your brand, and being loyal to your brand.
Here are some other questions to help identify your brand. Think about, discuss, and write down the answers to:
- What problems and pain-points does my company address?
- In which ways does my company benefit the local, regional, and global community?
- What types and categories of goals does my company have? What are they, specifically? Where is our focus?
- Who are my target audience, secondary audience, and tertiary audience?
- With what ideas do I want my company to affiliate?
- Does my company have a cause (e.g. protecting National Parks, donating food to the homeless)?
- What processes, designs, or services differentiate my company from competitors?
- What is the one word that sums up my company?
By answering these questions, you and your colleagues can set a defined and consistent direction to take your company’s branding. If it seems too daunting to do alone, don’t worry, The Belford Group is happy to help you with all your branding needs.
Our mission is to bring your ideas to life; from brand identity to logos, we’ve got you covered. Contact us today, to schedule a free consultation.